Super 8

Matinée

I heard someone describe this film as a mix of The Goonies, ET, and Jurassic Park. I have to agree. And they also had the similarity of a squat faced young blonde girl. I'm not sure why Steven Spielberg movies have that particular aspect in common. Maybe they remind him of a family member. Or he just has a different idea of cute children. But if you like Spielberg's earlier films, you will like this one. Overall it was a great mix of adventure, comedy and suspense. I didn't like how foul the young mouths were. I don't like swearing in general but it seems so much worse from kids.

This film had a lot of really good suspense. I even found myself jumping a couple of times, which is a rarity for me. I make a terrible haunted house date,  I just don't know how to jump and cling like a good scared girl should. But I think the secret of what was in the train was timed well, hints and glimpses all along the way.

Of course I loved seeing Coach Taylor from Friday Night Lights (Kyle Chandler). And Joel Courtney was a great young lead. His friends were cast really well also. They made the comedy of the movie. The little Cary with his braces and unstoppable retorts was hilarious.

Even though the story is about kids, I definitely wouldn't call this a family film. It is pretty dark but very enjoyable.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment