Jane Eyre

Rent It

I love this story. I read the book a few years back and fell in love with the sweet, unconventional love story. But a great book doesn't always translate into a great movie.

Jane Eyre (Mia Wasikowska) is orphaned by her parents as a child. She is then sent away to a school for girls by her spiteful aunt. Her education was harsh but thorough and she gets a job as a governess. She falls in love with the master of the house, Edward Rochester (Michael Fassbender).

Part of what makes this story so charming is that Jane and Rochester are two plain people that find a deeper connection. Jane had been despised her whole life, and finally someone found beauty in her. Wasikowska certainly looked plain. The design was very period and well done. It just wasn't a very flattering time period for women.

Did the movie live up to the book? Of course not. Jane Eyre is a long book. And so much happens, it would be impossible to fit it all in the movie. They did a good job of trimming it down. Unfortunately, when you cut things out, you inevitably cut out someone's favorite part. I kept waiting for the purple faced, crazed wife to come into Jane's room in the middle of the night. That was such a scary part of the book. I waited with anticipation. To my disappointment it never happened.  But it was a well made film, with a great cast. I thought the love story was a little rushed. They did, however, manage to get in some great romantic lines from Rochester. And I love that they kept Jane hearing Rochester call to her across the great distance between them. It was a charming film. But I still prefer the book.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

archimui said...

Ooh! I didn't know there was a film! Will definitely look it up.. I've only seen the BBC drama version which is one of my favourites (but then i've not read the book yet :P) - its one of the 4 episode ones - probably has the scene you were talking about as well.. don't remember any purple faces tho ^^;; - just so you know x

Post a Comment